Southampton University Hospitals Trust
023 8077 7222
The congenital cardiac centre in Southampton prides itself on being a well organised and highly equipped unit. This has allowed Southampton to attract highly-qualified staff over the years. We have built a comprehensive congenital cardiac service integrating care from fetus to late adult life. Our program is designed to respect the varying needs of different age-groups. We are fortunate in that our unit is supported by all regional adult and paediatric sub-specialty services on-site. Our unit comprises adjacent but separate paediatric, adolescent and adult inpatient and outpatient facilities.
· 27 bed accommodation facility for families and relatives of cardiac patients (Heartbeat House).
· Full range of congenital heart disease surgery including infant Fallots repair and the Norwood Operation for hypoplastic left heart disease.
· Integrated adult congenital heart disease program.
· Fontan Conversion Surgical Program: This program presently accommodates both local and national referrals (including Ireland).
· High-risk pregnancy unit (treating maternal heart disease during pregnancy).
· Fetal Cardiology working together with a feto-maternal obstretric unit.
· Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (dedicated MR magnet performing only cardiac studies).
· Digital echo server for transthoracic, transoesaphageal and tissue Doppler studies
· 3D echocardiography program: well-established and presently utilised in both the clinical and research arena.
· Regional Paediatric Intensive Care Unit
· Telemedicine facilities linking to local, national and international units via ISDN lines.
· In-house conference and educational facilities (Heartbeat Educational Centre).
· Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility
· Medical Research Council: Epidemiology Resource Centre
· Human Genetics Division: University of Southampton: Cardiovascular genetics research including major interest in hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
Congenital Cardiac Surgeons
Mr M Kaarne
Mr N Viola
Mr M Lavrsen
Dr K Roman – clinical lead
Dr T Richens – interventional lead
Dr N Hayes
Dr T Bharucha
Dr D Black
Dr S Sadagopan
Dr A Magee
Adult Congenital Cardiologists
Dr A Carroll – clinical lead
Dr S Fitzsimmons
Dr L Smith
Dr T Salmon
Wessex Cardiac Service website: